CPAP and Your Sexual Health
How CPAP is linked to better sex and sexual health
Sleep apnea is harmful for your sex life, especially for men.
Between lowered oxygen to your brain at night and negative effects on your mood and heart, your body will incur other frustrating side effects from untreated sleep apnea.
- Sleep apnea reduces the quality of your sleep and that takes a toll on you all day long, all the way to your time in bed.
- Study findings on CPAP and sexual health
- REMINDER: Replace your CPAP supplies regularly
- Need replacement parts or a new mask?
- If you’re noticing trouble in the bedroom, first you may want to make sure that your CPAP is working optimally.
Sleep apnea reduces the quality of your sleep and that takes a toll on you all day long, all the way to your time in bed.
Along with sleepiness and headaches, sleep apnea’s effect on your body’s blood flow can lead to premature erectile dysfunction in men, as well as lowered sexual ability and enjoyment. In fact, 10-60% of OSA patients may develop erectile dysfunction.¹ The reduced blood flow impairs your bodily functions, especially with areas that only get activated under certain circumstances, like your sexual organs.
Study findings on CPAP and sexual health
The good news is, using CPAP may help both sleep apnea and your sex life at the same time. Researchers have found that using CPAP can:
- Reverse early onset erectile dysfunction¹
- Improve your ability to enjoy and participate in sex²
- Prevent sleep apnea induced damage to fertility tissue in men³
Learn more about the hidden link between snoring and low sex drive
REMINDER: Replace your CPAP supplies regularly
To make the most of your sleep therapy, you should replace your CPAP accessories regularly. It’ll help reduce issues like leaks from aging masks, and keep your machine running efficiently. At the same time, you’ll lower the risk of accumulating bacterial or fungal growth. Insurance covers CPAP supplies yearly. Check out the CPAP replacement schedule and allow us to check with your insurance provider to see what they will cover (for free!). Click below to get started.
Need replacement parts or a new mask?
If you’re noticing trouble in the bedroom, first you may want to make sure that your CPAP is working optimally.
You can reach out to us for a FREE CPAP Check-up at one of your local clinics. Apnea Health is always here to help.
- “Men using CPAP see improvement in sexual function, satisfaction” American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
- “Outcome of CPAP Treatment on Intimate and Sexual Relationships in Men with Obstructive Sleep Apnea” Reishtein et al.
- “Sleep Apnea as a Potential Threat to Reproduction” Hirotsu et al.